NATIVE FEMALE

"Every soul shall have a taste of death: And only on the Day of Judgment shall you be paid your full recompense. Only he who is saved far from the Fire and admitted to the Garden will have attained the object (of Life): For the life of this world is but goods and chattels of deception." (Al Imran Chapter 3 verse 185)

Thursday, September 14, 2006

CHOICES

If I can't do
what I want to do
then my job is to not
do what I don't want
to do

It's not the same thing
but it's the best I can
do

If I can't have
what I want . . . then
my job is to want
what I’ve got
and be satisfied
that at least there
is something more to want

Since I can't go
where I need
to go . . . then I must . . . go
where the signs point
through always understanding
parallel movement isn't lateral

When I can't express
what I really feel
I practice feeling
what I can express
and none of it is equal

I know
but that's why mankind
alone among the animals
learns to cry


Written by Nikki Giovanni

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home