NATIVE FEMALE

"Every soul shall have a taste of death: And only on the Day of Judgment shall you be paid your full recompense. Only he who is saved far from the Fire and admitted to the Garden will have attained the object (of Life): For the life of this world is but goods and chattels of deception." (Al Imran Chapter 3 verse 185)

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Aaarrrggghhhh!

Ok……I have to keep it real. I miss being fit. I miss being able to touch my toes effortlessly. I miss being able run a couple of miles without panting. Bottom line…..I miss dancing.

I’m scientist ( u knw those supposedly calculation dependant individuals I kwn I don't talk like one...) but I have this arty side that not many people knw about. It’s like I am leading a double life….my straight a** boring science life and this other side which wants to leap, bust some crank moves and do the split. Yea…I’m talking about dancing. It has been a passion of mine since I was in diapers (even my momma would tell u dat). I used to shake my diaper clad a** to the latest tune since the beginning of me. Then when Bobby Brown and Mc Hammer came out with the running man in the early 90’s I was right in there doin my thang. I love to dance, dancing brings out the best in me. I aint talking about dance on a professional level, but just dancing for fun, you knw. Being able to just move and go with the flow. Being able to have people who share the same passion. Being able to……..just dance!

I been searching for dance classes all up in this here city. I haven’t found any female only classes. Not that I mind having handsome guys with fit bodies lifting me up but…..being a Muslimah I gotta make sacrifices and abstain from such worldly desires ….. You feel me!

However, first things first. Before I start leaping without perfecting my walk. First on the agenda is joining a gym (if not…then employing an exercise regime which gives the same benefit without the gym pass) and sorting out my anaemia. Because however physically fit I get…I would always be out of breath if my blood count aint close to normal (out of everything…bringing my blood count back to normal would be my most difficult task). I will still keep searching for an all female dance class and until I find one I would be practicing some moves….maybe get a video so I can get my old moves back. It’s been close to 4yrs since I seriously performed a piece….so you can imagine how rusty I am. I basically need to start from scratch and that aint gonna be easy but inshaAllah kheyr.

So this is what is going to be on my agenda for a while. I’m kinda excited so hopefully this is not some short lived thing. I knw most people would be like girl what you doin dancing? This would probably come from my Somali/Muslim community. But check it here…I aint dancing for no man. I be doin this for myself. Something to keep me physically fit…. But hey…..I gotta do what I gotta do! To hell with everybody else.

Peace

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger white african said...

there was a fairy tale i read as a child where this girl got these dancing shoes that she was never able to take off so she danced every where, maybe we can get you a pair for your birthday?

theres a bellydance female only class in the aquatics, that could be an option,

dance dance dance dance

Friday, November 17, 2006 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger MD said...

amen! hell i'd join that class in a heartbeat, being an african and having no rythm makesme sad...

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger MD said...

amen! hell i'd join that class in a heartbeat, being an african and having no rythm makesme sad...

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger NATIVE said...

WA...dats cool. I might actually join if it does not clash with my schedule....
i wouldn't mind those shoes as a present but i would't wanna wear them all the time. Dancing is exhausting and sometimes a girl gotta catch her breath...

MD...u do have rythm...I seen ya!
By the way I think you got a lil overexcited while pressing the enter button.....lool

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger wasmaniac said...

Dont try...u dont wanna break ur limbs while trying to know how to dance. Learning dancing esp by a somali woman is a high risk affair. I wouldnt recomend it. Besides, if u aint learning it for ur man, its not worth the sweat. u could get better exercises than dancing...

Friday, November 17, 2006 4:25:00 PM  
Blogger NATIVE said...

Wasmaniac: I aint learning how 2 dance from scratch. I can dance, I have been dancing semi-professionally for 5+years. It's just that I took a long break and it's just daunting to go back to it.

By the way...how is a Somali woman different from any other woman?

When I said "I aint dancing for no man" I meant some random man....now it is a different story dancing for MY man...we can negotiate this (by that I mean my husband)

Friday, November 17, 2006 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger NATIVE said...

Wasmaniac: I aint learning how 2 dance from scratch. I can dance, I have been dancing semi-professionally for 5+years. It's just that I took a long break and it's just daunting to go back to it.

By the way...how is a Somali woman different from any other woman?

When I said "I aint dancing for no man" I meant some random man....now it is a different story dancing for MY man...we can negotiate this (by that I mean my husband)

Friday, November 17, 2006 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger NonChalante said...

Looks like someone else is "enter" happy :d

Like W.A said, join a belly dancing class, thats been part of my routine for the past year now. Its quite the workout, and its a great deal of fun aswell. Just for the sake of saying this ..
Stop! .... Its Hammer time!

Friday, November 17, 2006 9:53:00 PM  
Blogger Firefly said...

"I see you baby, shaking that ass, shaking that ass....."


LoL...couldn't help it.

Hey, some of us can't even dance to save our lives. If you have the ability, by all means, maintain it and enjoy it!

Sunday, November 19, 2006 2:04:00 AM  
Blogger NATIVE said...

Nonchalante: I just thought MD looked a lil lonely there so I thought I'd keep her company.....the bonds of sisterhood need to be mainatained you knw ;)
Bellydancing would be a great workout for my abs if anything so I'm seriously thinking of joining the class.....inshaAllah.

Firefly: Thanks gurl....I plan to do just that inshaAllah.
There isn't such a thing as someone not being able to dance. Rythm can be nurtured and developed. Plus dancing is so versatile....there are many different types which could incoperate practically anybody. Gurl you can dance......u just don't knw it yet :)

Sunday, November 19, 2006 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger SleepDepraved said...

Freaky, I was just thinking the same thing today. I used to do an hour of dancing dancehall and arabic with hiphop sprinkling each day for the last three years. This year for some reason I just quit. I miss those days of just blasting music high and sweating it out.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 4:19:00 AM  
Blogger NATIVE said...

I miss those days too sleepD....

Saturday, November 25, 2006 9:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home