NATIVE FEMALE

"Every soul shall have a taste of death: And only on the Day of Judgment shall you be paid your full recompense. Only he who is saved far from the Fire and admitted to the Garden will have attained the object (of Life): For the life of this world is but goods and chattels of deception." (Al Imran Chapter 3 verse 185)

Friday, April 07, 2006

38hrs later......after the game!!

This blog should have been posted yesterday, but that was practically impossible! As soon as i got home I had a shower and went straight to bed(at 6:45pm)..........that's how exhausted I was!! I didn't even get to see my mummy for a whole 24hrs........and we were in the same house! When I left she was in bed and when I came home she was at work......unbelievable!
So anyway, yesterday we had our basketball tournament. I am member of the Muslim sisters basketball team…..I play for my uni (by now am sure you are picturing a bunch of hijabees in jalbabs bouncing a ball around……….that‘s what I thought when I heard about it first but I tried out for the team made it and here we are). We had a local tournament involving the universities in the city and the winner would qualify for the nationals. I was excited even though I was ill and missed a couple of practices……..I mean I was psyched!
Had an early start…….left the house by 9am. Had an hour of warm up and pep talks…..the game kicked off at 11:30am. While warming up I thought I’d scope out the competition……..I realized I was one of two black people playing (the other black member was my team mate). This kind of made a little self conscious…..but I thought we are all sisters so let’s get on with it.
We ended up being the first team up playing against team MU. First half of the game I kept shooting and missing, our defence was crap……we were losing by 13 points. The whistle blew for half time and we left the court feeling a little down…….I was personally kicking myself (metaphorically speaking of course…..I wasn’t literally kicking myself….lol). We had a bit of a pep talk and discussed tactics…….the coach kept telling us to focus and that I should take my time while shooting and don’t be intimidated.
Second half……we came back strong. I still wasn’t scoring but I played a mean attack. This half was enjoyable……..we lost by 5 points but we were smiling coz this second half was ours!
Our second game of the day was with team S. This was our comeback game……the first half was great and we were winning (I even managed a trick…..purely unintentional and accidental but nonetheless it was a hot trick…….I sound so egotistical……but still it was a hot trick…..lol). The second half was even better we were back in the game……….but I was injured (the ball snapped my fingers backward, I had to snap them back into shape again and it hurt like hell but I sucked it up!). The game was over and we were winning by 15 points…….man I even did a little dance!
We were through to the semi finals but the last game was a very competitive one…..we lost by 3 points. This was the most enjoyable game even though I got elbowed in the shoulder and it still hurts. We were doing great plus I even managed a few shots but unfortunately it wasn’t meant to be (but alhamdulillah ‘ala kuli hal!). We didn’t get through to the nationals which was disappointing but as I said it wasn’t meant to be!
At the end of the tournament we all went out for a meal and it was fun…….we still had love for each other even though we were rivals. I was afraid we would want to tear each others hair our and that I would leave the place black eyed peas style……….wondering where is the love? We joked and ate……..it was an all round brilliant day plus I got a ride home (I was dreading getting the bus coz my body was aching!).
Got home with the mother of all headaches and an aching body! My little brother was the only one home…..after saying my salaams I just hit the shower one more time, put on my pyjamas and was in bed.
I woke up this morning with the worst body ache ever…….but am embracing it. Went for a jog and also lifted some dumbbells even though my elbowed shoulder and the fingers I snapped still hurt!
Told my mom about the game and she said all the right stuff and made all the right noises. But when she saw that I was hurting she told me I should give up basketball………it’s a dangerous game she said (bless her soul)! This is the funny part though I mentioned the only thing I enjoy more than basketball is dance and she suggested I take belly dancing classes (you should have seen my brothers face when she said it….it was a picture). Apparently it’s a good way of keeping fit……while at the same time being ladylike (My mum wants me to be more ladylike......Somali stlye. So far no big change has taken place). I love my mum….she never ceases to amaze me! May Allah bless her soul and grant her a long life…..ameen!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger SleepDepraved said...

Cripes I wish I could play bball. Last time I played I was in high school. I just watch it on telly. Where do you have Islamic BBall Women competition? I mean do y'all have men in the stands when you playing or is it just females? Whats the uniform like? I imagine getting hot and flustered underneath layers just in gym let alone running up and down a court for 20 mins.

Friday, April 07, 2006 9:33:00 AM  
Blogger NATIVE said...

Actually sd, this is the first year its kicking off....so we are still testing the waters!
But this is happening in the uk...am a student in manchester (so this is where we had our locals).
There aint no men in the stands....its a pretty strict rule that we have(which is reinforced pretty well may i add). Although this doesn't seem to deter them....lol
But the uniform is still going through experimentation.....we are trying to accomodate most peoples needs while at the same coming out professional!
Personally, I enjoy wearing a t-shirt under my jersey....but yea we all get hot and flustered....but you kinda forget about this when you're mind wrapped p in the game....lol.
But its hell fun I have to say!!

Friday, April 07, 2006 4:46:00 PM  
Blogger q said...

hot stuff...bball aint my thing but it would be neat to have something like that for volleyball.

the belly dancing idea is quite a good one, its more fun then you'd think it would be...try it before you knock it though its an amazing way to work out.

Friday, April 07, 2006 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger NM said...

I missed it.. SOB SOB

Remind me again why I couldn't come and watch!?

NF you know you have rhythm and belly dancing would be lots of fun am sure you could teach the teacher a thing or two.

What ru up2 on Thursday am off to Bosnia on Fri inshallah

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger NATIVE said...

Salaams NM
Sweety I might have rhythm but I doubt I can move my body like that.....but its concept I am willing to explore. Discovering new things is one of my fav things!

You too?! How come y'all leaving the country.......is this payback for my christmas adventure in Africa. If it is am sorry.....next time I will take you all with me
*bottom lip quivering*

Might just be free on thursday....will text u to let u knw sweety inshaAllah

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home